Why do we certify our skin care products?
Trust is everything we want in any human or service relationship. Our controls and certifications are handled by the Leading Regulatory Group, which works with well-known and respected brands such as Tarte, Amika, Estee Lauder, Loreal, Anastasia Beverly Hills.
For all Norrskin products, we perform external controls within the EU to ensure transparency and security for our customers. When we make a statement about our quality, we seek evidence even in the smallest part of our formulas.
This is all for us and for you, our dear customer, to know that everything we state in our products and certifications is available and documented by absolute experts in beauty regulation.
Norrskin’s first skin care collection House of Lin was fully certified with Natural, Vegan and Clean Beauty certifications.
For this certification, our formula must meet at least 90% natural ingredients, excluding water from this calculation. Which means that 90% + points must be achieved among all other ingredients.
The majority of our products have more than 96% natural ingredients. We show the exact percentage including decimals on each product packaging and product page on our website. This is what we call transparency!
We cherish natural over synthetic and we want to bring this philosophy to our customers through our formulas.
You can also ask what is not natural then in our cosmetics.
Often it is either a vitamin, such as Niacinamide. (Vitamin B3) which is much more stable in its synthetic version. It can also be a scent. Today we take our fragrances from a 100-year-old family-owned company in France, which specializes in natural fragrances, but often parts of the sent formula contain some synthetic ingredient. Then we take whole scent as an ingredient and calculate it as a non-natural part of our formula. Although 10/12 ingredients of this fragrance are actually natural.
Being vegan is not only a choice of what we eat but also a complete exclusion from all forms of animal exploitation. If you are not vegan but want to express your love for nature, animals and resist animal cruelty. Investing in vegan certified skin care is a good step.
In a vegan-certified cosmetic formula, no animal aspects are allowed.
All Norrskin products have Vegan certification.
For this certification, we must meet the following requirements for all 100% raw materials:
- No animal ingredients or ingredients that come from animals
- No animal experiments on raw material and no animal experiments on finished product
- No genetically modified organisms involving animal genes or animal substances
- Full compliance with hygiene and vegan standards in the laboratory
Clean Beauty certification
Clean Skincare or Clean Beauty cosmetics are terms that are used more and more in the beauty industry, but ONLY certified products and brands can and should freely use this term.
The audit for Clean Beauty certification is very complex and has well-defined criteria where Norrskin and our cosmetics had to meet several requirements to obtain this honorable certificate.
To become Clean Beauty certified, Norrskin must pass audit on following criteria:
- Analyzed for safety according to EU laws and well-established toxicological methods and standards:
- Implemented with positive results CPSR A & B – Basic and Extended Cosmetics Product Safety Reports.
- SCCS Guidance Notes and the IFRA Quantitative Risk Assessment model.
- The safety data sheet is reviewed by qualified toxicologists to ensure that the product is stable, free from microbiological risks, systemic toxicity risks, local toxicity risks and has a satisfactory pollution profile.
- Must be 100% vegan, according to Vegan Society’s vegan standards, which excludes:
- Animal ingredients
- Animal experiments
Ingredients that come from genetically modified organisms that involve animal genes or animal substances and that require the implementation of specific kitchen and hygiene standards.
- Must be environment friendly, this means:
3.1. Excludes the following ingredients that are toxic to coral reefs:
- Oxybenzone (benzophenone-3)
- Octinoxate (octylmethoxycinnamate)
- 4-methylbenzylidene camphor
- PABA derivatives (eg ethylhexyldimethyl-PABA and PEG-25 PABA)
- Octisalate (ethylhexylsalicylate)
- Avobenzone (butylmethoxydibenzoylmethane)
3.2. Excludes the following additives and preservatives, which are toxic to coral reefs:
3.3. Requires that sunscreens are water resistant
- Produced by the brand that cares about the environment:
At least 0.2% of its revenue should be spent each year on reducing or compensating for its carbon footprint.
Examples of acceptable initiatives to reduce carbon footprints:
- Improvements to building insulation
- Investments in energy-efficient light bulbs
- Investments in company cars with CO2 emissions <90 g / km.
- Investments in recycling operations
Examples of acceptable carbon footprint compensation initiatives:
- Financial support for non-profit organizations that are involved in replanting, recycling or remediation projects
- Invest in the capture of CO22 emissions
- Efficient and environmentally friendly, which excludes:
- Sulphate-containing ingredients (eg SLS and SLES)
- Mineral oils
Methyl chloroform (and other gases affecting the ozone layer)
- HFC-152a (and other greenhouse gases)
- Produced by a brand that invests in and promotes human well-being:
- At least 0.1% of its income is donated each year to charities AND / OR
- Specific raw materials in the ingredients of the products are Fair Trade certified (eg via Oxfam, Max Havelaar), including: cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil, olive oil, aloe vera and honey AND / OR
- Specific measures are implemented by the company to improve social inclusion and actively combat all types of social discrimination
Reducing to minimum:
– Fragrance (unless the formula is completely revealed)
– Dyes (from all product categories except make-up and hair dyes)
- FSC-certified secondary packaging (or similar certification related to responsible management of the world’s forests)
- > 80% (w / w) of the primary packaging must be recyclable
In Norrskin, we have done this audit on all our skin care products and received certificates for all of them. So now dear customer, Norrskin and our products are Clean Beauty Certified.